- 150g butter, softened
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup gluten free all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup full fat ricotta, drained
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 150g free range bacon, diced and pan fried or grilled until crispy
- 1 jalapeno chilli, finely diced (and deseeded if you prefer a milder heat)
- To make the maple butter, combine the butter and maple syrup in a bowl and set aside.
- To make the batter, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a separate jug or bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, lemon juice, ricotta and vegetable oil until combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until they have just combined. Lightly stir in the bacon and jalapeno.
- Preheat the waffle griddle to a Belgian waffle setting and a medium brownness setting. Once the machine has heated, scoop 1/3 cup of batter onto each baking plate and allow to cook in accordance with your machine’s instructions . Continue until you have used up all the batter.
- Serve the waffles hot topped with the maple butter.
Also in From the Paddocks