I find that variety is really key when it comes to cooking for my crew. Not only is that achieved by using a variety of different produce in the meals, it’s also achieved by cooking different cuisine! We all love our Asian dishes and this simple sweet soy chicken recipe, accompanied by an easy coriander chimichurri, has become our go-to Indonesian meal, especially on these freezing school nights where time is of the essence!
The ingredient that really makes this dish sing is the delicious ABC Sweet Soy Sauce. It’s made from quality yellow soy beans and naturally sweetened with sun-dried palm sugar, which gives it a distinct and intense combination of sweet, savoury, slightly smoky, malty, toffee-like flavours...oh my goodness, it’s just the best and also great on ribs and in simple stir fried dishes!
I’d love for you to try this recipe and as always, please tag me and #mckrecipes if you do give it a go to make sure I don’t miss it!!
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
For the sweet soy chicken:
For the coriander chimichurri:
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Place the grapeseed oil in a heavy based oven proof dish and heat on the cooktop over a high heat.
3. Season both sides of the chicken cutlets and place 4-5 of them skin down in the oil. Once the skin is a lovely golden brown colour turn them over and cook for a further 4 minutes. Set aside on a plate and repeat with the remaining cutlets.
4. Add the onion, garlic and ginger to the same pan and cook for 3-4 minutes until fragrant, stirring occasionally. Add the ABC Sweet Soy Sauce Kecap Manis and ABC Original Chilli Sauce Samba Asli and stir about for a further minute.
5. Return the chicken pieces to the pan, placing them skin side up and nestle them into the onions. Place in the oven to cook for 35 minutes or until the chicken has cooked through. Sprinkle over the sesame seeds and return to the oven for 2 minutes.
6. In the meantime, make the chimichurri. Place all the ingredients except for the grapeseed oil into a small bowl. Stirring continuously add the oil in a steady stream until it has all incorporated. Leave to stand for at least 15 minutes to allow the flavours to infuse.
7. To serve, place the chimichurri in a small serving bowl and place alongside the chicken.