Definitely an autumnal treat, these spiced poached pears definitely bring home all those cosy feels!
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- 750g unrefined golden caster sugar
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 1 star anise
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste
- ¼ cup brandy
- 6 small buerre bosc pears, ripe but not yet soft, peeled
- In a pan that would snugly fit the whole pears, place all the ingredients EXCEPT for the pears. Estimate and add enough water to cover the pears once they have been added, turn the heat on the cooktop, bring to a boil and then reduce the heat and allow the liquid to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add the pears to the liquid, cover them with a plate to avoid them moving about too much and allow them to slowly simmer for about 30 minutes or until just cooked through.
- Remove the pears from the pot using a slotted spoon and place in a bowl or container.
- Increase the heat on the cooktop and boil the remaining syrup uncovered for a few minutes until it has thickened a little. Pour the syrup over the fruit, cover and allow it to chill in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. Store in the fridge for up to a week and reheat to serve as needed.
It’s almost criminal for such seasonal treats to be this impressive and versatile!
Putting it simply, these pears are amazing! Delicious on their own (I mean warm, they are divine!) or served with a drizzle of chocolate…or butterscotch sauce…or with vanilla yoghurt and muesli for breakfast…or with ice cream for dessert…so many good ways to enjoy these pears!!!
I hope you enjoy them!